As time and technology changes, so does the way that we do business. It was not too long ago that the computer age began and ushered in a new era of efficiency. Today, business owners are looking for new business methods and applications to take the work experience to the next level. Enter the world of social software and Enterprise 2.0. Enterprise 2.0 was defined by Andrew McAfee as “the use of emergent social software platforms by organizations in pursuit of their goals.”
Perhaps it is simpler to define Enterprise 2.0 as a practical focus on creating, managing and governing business communities within the framework of social media. Overall, Enterprise 2.0 must be value added to a business. Because of this, the key benefits offered by it and are of critical importance.
Productivity ““ productivity is increased by allowing easy access to information and streamlining the communication process
Knowledge ““ Through the use of “Wiki” like pages, information is readily available to users of the system
Communication ““ Enterprise 2.0 allows for increased communication through social media like outlets.
Modernization ““ the emergent technology represented by Enterprise 2.0 systems is the future of business
Transparency ““ because information, data and knowledge is readily available, Enterprise 2.0 increases the transparency of a business
Enterprise 2.0 manages to provide these benefits, and more, through the use of simple and intuitive tools:
- Wiki ““ software that encourages the creation of content by users. Hyperlinks are supported, as are cross-links. Easily edited, Wiki portals are the perfect method for sharing knowledge across an organization.
- Blog ““ Blogs, originally developed as a sort of public journal, are an excellent model for today’s businesses. Through interaction, such as commenting, audiences can participate in discussion relating to a variety of business topics.
- Voting ““ Perhaps the most simple of all social media tools, voting mechanisms can be used to provide feedback on ideas and concepts.
- Agents ““ a type of query or search functionality that runs, 24/7, in the background. Agents allow relevant information and date to be delivered quickly and can be filtered through the use of unique user preferences.
- Relationship Building ““ Social networking sites are known for their ability to develop and foster relationships. Enterprise 2.0 brings this trend to the business place.
- Social Network Analysis ““ SNA provides a framework that allows businesses to visualize the way that work is performed throughout their organization. This information can identify potential bottlenecks as well as uncover “extra’ effort by employees through the number, strength and even volume of interactions and connections.
At the end of the day, Enterprise 2.0 marries the needs of business owners with the ease of use and reliability of social media. By providing a platform that employees are familiar and comfortable with, employers set in motion an environment that will encourage change, growth and productivity. The tools utilized by Enterprise 2.0 allow businesses to grow and change with the times and technology and can foster positive change for the future of business both large and small.
Time to upgrade your Intranet?
Noodle is an All-in-One platform that provides office staff & remote teams the ability to post ideas, create content, share schedules & have video calls all within a single secure site.